Wednesday, August 27, 2008


As a matter of fact, the name of my blog, "Paige of Pearls," stems from the jewelry. A few years ago, I was encouraged to start selling jewelry. Pictures were taken of my favorite sets and posted on eBay to sell. I had to come up with a name for a store on eBay, so Paige of Pearls was chosen. My favorite stones are pearls, and I used sterling silver findings exclusively (which, by the way, is somewhat foolish, given the tarnish that silver gets after a while...but it is beautiful). The logo seen on the top of the front page of this blog is the logo I made for the store. Unfortunately, after listing the items a few times, I got no bids and few interested customers. So I figured that most people aren't as excited about it as I am.

I told a good friend about the jewelry and she wanted to look at it. When she saw the mauve pearls, she said, "Oh, those are pretty beads. They're heavier than I thought they'd be." I was sort of sad that she didn't recognize them as actual pearls, and I understood then that I am and never will be a salesman. I enjoy making beautiful things and to me they are worth far more than money. I will never be able to crochet or knit clothes or creations like my sisters can (and I wish I could!), but I can whip up a set of earrings just before church to match my mood or my outfit. It's pretty exciting!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want that talent. I have this fantasy image in my head about sitting and beading, inviting friends over and talking and laughing as we bead - kind of like shopping and scrapbooking at the same time. And in the end, you have something beautiful AND you've had girl time. You go, girl!

Tigerlilly said...

I got a bunch of beads a few years ago, so that Daunell's girls and I could sit around and bead, or that girls in the ward would come over and we could bead together. Grace was able to bead, but I don't know if the other girls really had that great of a time. I don't bead anymore, but I love jewelry!

Mattie Rae said...

Do you have any on ebay now? I wanna see!

Paige of Pearls said...

No. I gave up after listing them two or three times and nobody wanted to buy any. I got to keep it all anyway.

Sharlee said...

I saw some of your sets on an older post and they are beautiful! It's really hard to know what to do with a talent or creativity at this stage in life I think. We all need a creative outlet but then what? Especially if there's no one to share it with. I recently took a guitar class--I didn't learn a TON or anything--but now that the class has been over for three months and I haven't used anything I learned (except for my own practicing pleasure) I wonder if I should even bother taking the next class. Hmmm.

Sharlee said...

Oh, and what is Lifeline of Eastern Oregon? I'm very curious.

Anonymous said...

Take the next class, Sharlee! The more you learn, the more you can use, and then you can teach me!!

Bethani: do you have your beads here in Logan? I would love to learn how to bead, if you would be willing to teach me!

Rachel, next time we have a cousin party, you HAVE to come and BRING YOUR WARES so that we can all admire and get inspired!

Tigerlilly said...

No, I didn't bring any beading stuff to Logan. But beading supplies aren't that expensive if you get only what you need.

Andrea said...

Wow! If I were an e-bayer, and knew that you had anything remotely as beautiful as the earrings pictured here posted for auction I would have bid! Those are fantastic. I have only recently developed a love and appreciation for jewelry, but can't find what I am imagining, so I often wish I knew how to make some for myself. Hope you don't mind my dropping by your blog. I found it very entertaining (read every last one of your posts) - you are a great writer.

Paige of Pearls said...

Andrea, I don't mind you commenting at all! Thanks for dropping by!

 
Paige of Pearls. Design by Pocket