So, at the recommendation of cousin Marie Orton, who is in my ward, I read the first vampire book by Stephenie Meyer. Actually, Sam made me do it. He sent the book to me via e-mail, and he knows that once I start a book, it's difficult to put down. This one was no different.
It's set in Forks, Washingon, which is an actual town near where I spent nine years of my boring life. The main character, Bella, has brown eyes and brown hair and is pretty much a boring person like me. She's in high school. She meets up with a remarkably talented, handsome, and mysterious guy who happens to be a vampire, and they are drawn to each other by more than the average chemistry. Edward reminds me in many ways of Sam. For these reasons alone, it was difficult to stop myself from reading the book from cover to cover in a day's time.
The second, third, and fourth books were brought over to me by Marie on Thursday, a week ago. I figured that I would eventually get to them, but I started the next book on Friday...well, I finished them all by Monday night late. The second book references "Romeo and Juliet" and is loosely based on that play. The third book references "Wuthering Heights" and is loosely based on that book. (I hated that book, but this novel made some interesting references that helped me to better understand the point of the original story.)
Those three would be complete, in my opinion. I started reading the fourth book and immediately regretted it. When Bella was just about to drink some blood, I put the book down and told Sam I was done. He told me to just keep reading and see if it got better. The book was just a weird, unnecessary addition. Maybe some of the romance novel innuendos and graphic violence could have been cut out and I'd have liked it much better.
Anyway, now I see that they're making a movie of the books. It sort of made me sad to see the cast and how different they are from who I imagined. Aside from "Harry Potter," this is the first time I've read the book and then seen the movie. I can see that I'll be disappointed in the Hollywood version of the books, but isn't that the point of Hollywood? Moneymoneymoney. Regardless of the good original, things must be changed in order to appease a larger audience. It sickens me. I would much rather see BBC's "Pride and Prejudice" than the trite new Hollywood version, even though it lasts much longer. I want to see a full story with realistic characters. That makes for a movie I want to watch again and again. That's what I love about reading. It gives me a fuller view of the thoughts and motivations of each character and lets me take my time mulling it over as to what it means.
As for the Twilight series, it's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure I'll ever read it again. Bella is so stinkin' selfish, and she doesn't deserve what Edward has to offer her. Very romantic and everything, but I'm surprised to hear myself say that what I've got is much more romantic!


11 comments:
Thanks for the perspective on this series. I have been wondering whether it was worth reading, and now I know that maybe I'll just pass on this one. I heard she's a "wordy" author, which bugs.
I'm so glad to know some more about these books, cause it seems like it's all ANYONE ever talks about, and I have been wondering what all the fuss is about?! I haven't given in yet, but as soon as someone offers to lend them to me I'm sure I'll do it.
Before I had heard anything else besides "vampire," I swore I'd never read the books. I mean, come on, a good vampire? But he only drinks animal blood and is known as a "vegetarian" vampire. All the vampires' eyes are red, unless they are vegetarians, in which case their eyes are an amber color. That's why I have a picture of myself on this particular blog looking pale and amber-eyed. Kind of silly, but I couldn't think of another kind of picture to post with all the silliness.
Yeah. I nearly bought the first book for lack of thinking of anything else to read. I never was really interesting in reading about vampires anyway. Fortunately, my memory saved me by reminding me of a better book to read. I'm so glad I didn't waste my money!
I love to read, but when people say, "Oh, this series is about vampires. And it's written by a Mormon author who went to BYU," well, that's a dumb reason to give in. I went to BYU and I'm a Mormon. I have all the credibility anyone needs, I guess. Maybe I should write a series about vegan vampire werewolves who only eat grass and do yoga.
I'll probably watch the movie, though. The actor playing Edward is handsome.
Today at the DI, I saw two copies of "Twilight," and one of the sequel.
Amen, amen, amen! Exactly what I thought of the books. I actually really liked the first three, and I guess I liked how the fourth one ends, but good gravy. Do you think there was enough about sex in the fourth?
By the way, I'm an old friend of Sam's, and found your blog through him. After seeing his facebook page, I'm fascinated by you and I hope you don't mind me blogstalking. I'm the queen of blogstalking.
Nope. Any old friend of Sam's is a newly old friend of mine.
I mean, nope, I don't mind you posting! It's fun to meet new people this way, don't you think?
Thanks! Whew. Sometimes I think people think I'm crazy.
I do think it's a great way to meet people. And here's the thing... I love blogs. I do. But sometimes my husband tells me I need to stop reading them because I start feeling bad about myself because there is this picture of perfection painted in sooooo many blogs (perfect children in bows, perfect homes, perfect moms). When I read blogs like yours it is so refreshing. I love real people. And you're a real person. Does that make sense?
Anyway, so good to meet you! Thanks for letting me read your blog!
You don't sound crazy. You sound pretty normal to me. And don't worry...I won't paint my life as perfect, because it isn't. And I'm not all into the lying thing.
Post a Comment